PaintCare Coordinator for Colorado
Application Deadline: July 3, 2017
PaintCare seeks a qualified candidate to assist with growing and maintaining the paint stewardship program in Colorado. This position will be located in Colorado and will coordinate the recruitment, contracting, and maintenance of PaintCare drop-off sites statewide.
PaintCare, a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization, was established by the American Coatings Association (ACA) to implement state-mandated paint stewardship programs on behalf of paint manufacturers in each state that adopts a paint stewardship law. Funding for PaintCare is provided through a fee on new paint sales. Funding is used to establish drop-off sites where the public can take leftover paint for recycling, pay for the recycling of this paint, and provide public education and program administration. Oregon passed the first industry-supported paint stewardship law in 2009. Colorado’s program has been operating since July 2015. Similar programs are operating in California, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Maine, Minnesota, Rhode Island, and Vermont. Please visit www.paintcare.org for more information.
- Meet and communicate with paint retail stores, municipal household hazardous waste (HHW) programs, and other program stakeholders.
- Set up paint drop-off sites: establish contracts, provide training, coordinate with haulers to arrange transportation of paint from site.
- Monitor drop-off site operations: conduct site visits and audits on a regular schedule or as needed/requested, identify problems and implement corrections, maintain successful relationships with site operators.
- Arrange special collection/transportation from temporary events and from painting contractors, property managers, and other large producers of leftover paint.
- Public outreach: distribute public information materials to drop-off sites, including those retailers that are not drop-off sites. Assist the communications team with monitoring use and usability of materials by sites.
- Recordkeeping: maintain computer database of drop-off site information, generate reports as needed.
- Analyzes data and write reports for PaintCare and state agencies.
- Makes presentations to groups of varying sizes and audiences, including tabling events (e.g., home shows, conferences, community events, trade associations).
- Assist with answering phone calls on the national PaintCare hotline as needed.
- Reports to Colorado Program Manager.
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- Experience with and/or knowledge of hazardous materials, hazardous waste management and programs, hazardous waste laws and regulations, HHW programs, state environmental agencies, hazardous materials/waste storage requirements, hazardous waste transportation and processing.
- Experience with and/or knowledge of retail operations, infrastructure, and communications, including big box, chain, franchise, co-op, and independent stores.
- Familiarity with paint products.
- Familiarity and comfort with users of paint, particularly contractors, paint retailers, and property managers.
- Experience with public speaking, training and/or making presentations.
- Experience with and/or knowledge of product stewardship programs, laws, and organizations.
- Ability to work independently from home.
- Willingness to travel extensively within the state to recruit sites, train retail staff, distribute outreach materials, and participate in various events. Occasional travel to Oregon, Minnesota, Washington D.C., and other locations in the US as needed, to assist with program implementation, trainings, conferences, and meetings.
- Proficiency with computers and typical office software.
- Valid state driver’s license.
Location and Travel
This position is located in Colorado. The employee will work from home. Extensive travel throughout the State will be required to visit drop-off sites and meet with government agency staff. There will be a need to travel out of state for meetings and events as well. Travel time will vary, may exceed 50% of the time, and will not decrease over time.
Employment, Salary and Benefits
This is a full time, regular position. Salary depends on experience; PaintCare, through the ACA, provides generous benefits [401(k), vacation days, medical, dental, and life insurance] and reimbursement for travel expenses.
To apply for this position, please email cover letter, resume, and salary requirements in one document to email@example.com. Please indicate “CO Coordinator – PaintCare” in the email subject line.